We first tasted the real ‘good oil’ of Morocco in the following recipe. The oil can be so strong it dominates the dish, but we acquired a taste for it. As you are not likely to come across this raw oil outside of Morocco, use the strongest flavoured olive oil you can find.
Ingredients and Method (for 6 people)
- Wash and clean 500g (1lb 2oz) of dried, skinned kidney beans.
- Put on the heat with 2 cloves of garlic, 1 level teaspoonful of salt and 1½ litres (3 pints) of water.
- Leave to cook, stirring from time to time, then pass through a vegetable sieve.
- Add a little water if the purée is too thick.
- It should normally spread itself out over the dish when poured out.
- Heat well before serving.
- Pour into a heated bowl.
The Seasoning (for each individual bowl)
A good dessert spoonful of Raw Olive Oil is then floated on top, with a squeeze of lemon juice.
The soup is topped off with a sprinkling of a mixture comprised of paprika, pounded cumin and chilli.
This dish is extremely nourishing and flavoursome.